La Frontera: El Viaje con Papá / My Journey with Papa paperback picture book
Based on a true story! Join a young boy and his father on an arduous journey from Mexico to the United States in the 1980s to find a new life. They’ll need all the courage they can muster to safely cross the border—la frontera—and to make a home for themselves in a new land.
Inspired by the childhood immigration experience of co-author Alfredo Alva, this story of perseverance is told in both Spanish and English to empower language-learning. Includes 4 pages of endnotes that unpack facts about Alfredo’s story, and other stories like his, and borders around the world to help parents and educators talk with children about immigration, resilience, empathy and belonging.
Also available in hardcover.
- Product Dimensions: 10.375 x 9.75 inches
- Page Count: 48 pages
- Age Range: Ages 4-10 years
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- A Junior Library Guild Selection, 2018
- Featured in The New York Times, 2018
- A 2018 Foreword Indies Finalist
- A Booklist Top 10 Diverse Books for Youth 2019 Pick
- Books that Humanize Immigration List, American Association of School Librarians, 2018
- NECBA Windows & Mirrors Selections, 2018
- Top 11 Picture Book Biographies of Social Justice Leaders, BookRiot, 2020
- New Women New Yorkers summer reading list, 2019
★ "So simple, but so beautiful, the story depicts what many must go through when seeking a better life in America" — Publishers Weekly, starred review
★ "An authentic and humanizing perspective on immigration" — Booklist, starred review
"An authentic and humanizing perspective on immigration; a must-have for classrooms, libraries, and bilingual collections" – Mary Margaret Mercado, Pima County Public Library, Tucson, AZ