Kashmiri Chili Powder
Kashmiri chilis, in whole and powdered form, are a staple of Pakistani & Indian cuisine and a welcome addition to any dish that needs a burst of flavor and color. The fresh peppers are long, slender and brilliant red. Kashmiri chili boasts a classic balance of heat and sweetness, and this variety is hotter than others you may have tried!
The chilis are prized for their flavor and also their vibrant red color, which imparts a beautiful hue to rubs for Tandoori meats and stews like Rogan Josh. The rich color and bright, sweet flavor make this chili powder a perfect everyday alternative to cayenne, and the full, round taste is a welcome addition anywhere you might use cayenne pepper or hot paprika.
- Origin: Pampore, Kashmir
- Process: Dried, then ground
- Ingredients: Kashmiri chili powder (Capsicum annuumv. Kashmiri)
- Tasting notes: Grilled Sweet Pepper • Cucumber • Medium Heat
- Use in a rub for grilled lamb or other meat kebabs
- Add to soups and stews for medium heat and rich color
- Use anywhere you'd use cayenne pepper, chili powder or hot paprika
- Pairs well with: Wild Mountain Cumin, New Harvest Turmeric, Sweet Pepper Paprika
Our partner farmer Showkat grows Kashmiri chilis on farms in Kashmir's famous saffron-growing region, Pampore. While most Kashmiri-variety chili isn't actually grown in Kashmir, Showkat grows two heirloom varieties in Kashmir proper.