Our spectacular cured sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey, where instead of being dried, it’s chopped and packed in salt to preserve it. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavor, and is one of our most popular spices among professional chefs and home cooks alike.
A classic Middle Eastern finishing spice, swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
Bon Appetit called our cured sumac “tart and vivacious” and that it gives dishes “invigorating citrus-like finish (and a deep red-violet hue that you couldn’t dream up).” We agree.
- Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
- Aliases: sumak
- Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
- Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (Salt content is 1% by weight or about 0.5 grams per jar)
- Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
- Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika, Wild Red Juniper Berries